Thursday, August 04, 2005

Moms, Taiwanese & Mr. Magoo

So I still haven't gotten this rising at the crack thing down yet. I've been at this for about 3 years now (not counting the previous 20 years of living with the biz) and I still have a difficult time not destroying my alarm clock in the morning. I think I hit snooze 6 times today. I don't get it; I went to bed by 11 pm last night. I shouldn't have had any trouble getting up at 6 am but instead, I ended up rolling out of bed in a rush at 6.41. Apparently I need more sleep to deal with life.

Last night we had some Taiwanese people. Very nice, but no English speakers except for one. Makes me wonder what it must be like for them to be here. I wonder if there's a different level of confusion for them here than for Westerners who go to Taiwan. I seem to think there are more billboards in English there than there are in Taiwanese here. I'd think they'd at least be more used to western language characters than we are to theirs. Well, I got one of them to play the super out of tune piano, and that was cool. I can't play for shit because my fingers are too short.

The boss came back to work today and managed to piss me off as usual. It's very hard to work with your own mother and not get pissed off sometimes. It's also hard to hide the argument we're having when simultaneously entertaining the guests at the breakfast table when all you want to rip each other's heads off. It makes me understand what must have been going on when I was a wee Cyd. I'd be ready to head off to school and need my mom to sign a field trip permission form or some such nonsense. It would usually take about 10 minutes for me to get her attention to sign the form. This was because I had to tear her away from the breakfast table conversation in order to get my stuff done. I think I definitely resented her a lot of the time for that, when I now realize it was just her doing her job. Charming people, keeping the conversation flowing, it's hard work, and it must be done at a b&b to help people fall in love with the magic of the place. I mean, it's all we've got compared to a hotel. Well, I can't fault her for it now, especially since I have to do the same stuff, but I also know it still really irks me when I'm talking to

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home