Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Special Entry

Folks, I know it's Sunday, but so much has happened in the last couple of days that I must capture my feelings about events before they fade into the long term data storage of my brain.

On Wednesday someone named Cathy tried out for the pastry position. She's a CIA grad, has worked with Martha Stewart's company, and definitely has some serious talent in the pastillage scheme. I wasn't into everything she made, but I also didn't taste everything either. I wasn't impressed with her technique of using imitation strawberry extract in her whipped cream for strawberry shortcake, but she also gave me a few tips on things I could be doing better. I was super friendly to her and tried to make her feel comfy in the kitchen, as if things worked out with her, I'd be free sooner. It would probably mean one less paycheck for me, but it would be a good trade off. We left the restaurant at the same time, and she said she was a little sad because if she took the job, I wouldn't be there. She had enjoyed my company. That was nice.

I was also nervously anticipating Miguel's try for the job. He auditioned for the pastry position the next day. He had plenty of time to prep some dessert dishes for review on Thursday night. I tried to help him with panna cotta, which he wanted to use too much gelatin in, but also neglected to put the panna cotta into the forms he wanted it to set up in when he made the dish. He set it up, then had to whisk the hell out of it to be able to pour it into the forms. Whatever, it was real thick, not quite what you want out of panna cotta, but the berry sauces he made to accompany it were lovely and it worked out anyway. I actually left work earlier that day, and returned to do his tasting with the chef I wrote about last week who is his master. I introduced myself to the chef and his wife, who is also a pastry chef. Both were lovely people and I could see why Miguel would always look forward to working with them. The major quality we discussed about why we all loved Miguel, was the fact that he's very sincere and loyal. Such a sweetheart. As usual, Miguel had been a dishwasher that the chef had promoted. While many people who work in kitchens are work very hard, Miguel stood out from the rest. Anyway he also made four other dishes for the tasting: Ice Cream Cake (with peppermint candies crushed on top, lovely), Checkerboard Cake, (plain, but it's just sponge cake really), Tiramisu (delicious, spectacular. I usually hate tiramisu), and Molten Chocolate Cake. The MCC was quite good. I never make it, as it's kind of played out for me, but I really enjoyed his version, which had something white in the middle, and he served it with a grapefruit and orange salad. I couldn't stop eating the salad either.

Mig's tasting went so well that I was now stuck, I wasn't sure whom to root for. If Cathy took it, she'd be very prepared for the job, and all of the work Miguel and I had done would be for naught. If Miguel got it, then he would be thrown deep into the belly of the beast, not knowing everything, and still trying to understand seemingly simple concepts, such as the breads and Fatima. He would have to buy some books and tools, which though I had most of already when I'd started, I'd still had to invest over $200 in when I began. Should he have to spend money like that? Should the restaurant take a chance like that? I wasn't sure.

Mig and I worked together the next day like nothing was different. By the end of the day, we found out the he was going to "float" around the kitchen. He'd be learning both in the pastry kitchen and the regular one. I sat down with the chef and asked about "the poop." He said they were bringing Cathy on as the main pastry chef, and she was starting tomorrow night. I asked when he needed me to clear my stuff out and he said that day would be good, and sorry to see me leave so soon, but the payroll was getting huge. I told him no worries, I was expecting this. I diligently packed up all my stuff, from my cuisinart and books, to the stereo, and of course a cup of Fatima. Mig's master had suggested I change her name to one that Miguel could relate to better to understand her, so we changed her name to Guadelupe. We laughed and I told him not to kill her just because I was gone. I was not as happy as I thought I would be to leave. Even though I am stepping into my new role as Vice President at the inn, I am sad I will not be working with the people I have grown to love in a very short time. Luckily, I had to return the next day for my second to last paycheck and I was amazed by the hugs that came from many people in the place. Miguel and Joe both played it pretty cool, but let me know their sadness for my absence. I'll be stopping there next week to pick up the rest of my pay, and I think it will be strange, but nice to see them one more time. I did manage to hand out some brochures about the inn to the people who mattered, so we wouldn't lose touch, so that was good.

And now, I embark on moving all my things slowly, but taking a little time off from working hard before I have to juice it all the time! It was a terrific learning experience, and I now know how much I still have to learn to be an accomplished baker, A LOT.

2 Comments:

Blogger T said...

I'm sure leaving was tough. I know how much you liked all the people that you worked with.

On to the next adventure!!

07 August, 2006 12:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your next journey! I will be cheering!

08 August, 2006 11:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home