Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Is Anyone Still Reading? I Hope So!

So, I've been quiet for a while. Sorry I've been so busy; I haven't even filed in a long ass time. So, in preparation (or procrastination) to do that, I've decided to say hello and let everyone know my status.

Lately the inn has been not as busy as the last few years. We've had some very strange weekends only half booked when they should be fully booked. Since the inn isn't doing as well, it's become very difficult to support the properties it has now been charged with supporting. Not only is the inn responsible for my house, it is also responsible for my mother's new house on the Cape. This just isn't possible. So we've now got my house up for sale.

Have you ever sold a house? Well this is my first time. Our realtor is spankin and creepy all at once. Her bangs could take you. Not in a Jersey, 80's type way, but a really swishy, strong, bang power type way. It freaks me out. Selling this house in particular has been a major boon for me. It made me clean out everything. It forced my mother to come down and really go through the attic and the basement and closets, throwing out so many things that we needed a small dumpster and lots of neighbors to take away all the furniture we didn't want. I think it was cathartic for the moms. Then the painting started. I painted the garage doors from a dark, hunter green, to a light gray. The light gray also went onto a wooden sun rise over the front door, done by my courageous boyfriend on a rickety extension ladder! Then I painted my bedroom, again, erasing that dark, hunter green, to a beautiful linen white! Lately I've seen places we need to touch up all over the house, but I'm not going to unless I run out of other things to do. (not likely)

As of late, we've been talking to a professional inn broker. She thinks we should sell the whole kit and caboodle (including the house I currently live in now) as one package, somewhere in the area of $2 mil. Personally, that would be amazing. For everyone else who works here, it would be probably not be ideal. While my innkeeper for that last year is leaving to move to SF, the next one has no idea that we might be selling. I have no idea if it is reasonable to expect the new owners to keep a person in that position. It probably isn't. I wish I could stipulate that to the new owners. And what about all the people that are returning here because they love US? I know it sounds pretty self centered, but I believe a LOT of people come here because they like me and the service we provide, not because the house is beautiful, etc.

Lastly, we have some very large people staying here this week. They have already broken the bed in one of the rooms. They are moving into a different room at the end of the week. They are both huge. While I don't care how large someone is, I felt really bad for them when their bed did not hold up under them. All of this happened while my innkeeper was on duty, and then I heard about it secondhand. A few hours after I went on duty today they came back to the inn. I introduced myself and let them know I was working on the bed problem, and wanted to know if there was anything I could do to make their stay better. I also let them know that my boyfriend was a furniture expert and that he was getting them a part the next day for the bed. Then they told me that it was only ONE of them that had been laying in the bed at the time! Oh, these poor people. I tried not to make it embarrassing for them, and act like it was a malfunction of the bed (which the boyfriend said it was), and while it felt genuine, I hope they didn't feel like it was fake.

We also have some mafia staying with us, an American who sounds like a Scotsman, an old dude who complains about stuff and then says something really nice right after, a dude who never says anything but totally likes to party with his work buddy by drinking expensive wines they discuss in the drawing room, the aforementioned colleague, and some super cool people from California.

My boyfriend loves to keep dropping little hints that if I want to run the inn forever I should, and that would be alright with him. While I've never discussed anything that's going on with him and I in this arena, it'll suffice to say that living here with him would not be convenient for his job, which is 80 miles north of here. Also, I'm interested in baking still, not people. I've been taking some professional cake decorating classes in the city, and I think I've formed a plan for the future. If I end up having kids with this guy, I can't do it at the inn. It's too much. I think what I'll do is find a house, convert the kitchen to a commercial status, and then bake wedding cakes, so I can work and have babies. Or maybe I'll be a personal trainer. It could work, and there's basically no overhead.

Well, that's thoughts for now. I'll try to post more, really I will!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home